Original Rogue: Embracing my mixed race curls - Kérastase Styling Boucles d'art
A little bit of everything lifestyle blog with a dash of geekiness and a splash of Manchester love!

Monday 7 April 2014

Embracing my mixed race curls - Kérastase Styling Boucles d'art

In typical girl fashion, I didn't grow to love my curly hair until I was older. As a child, it was a nuisance, unmanageable, tangled and went out rather than down.

Throughout my early twenties, I battered it with hair dry, straighteners, extensions and chemical treatments causing it no end of suffering. I would have continued down this route if it weren't for my hairdresser  - the fantastic Simon at James Roberts Hair & Beauty in Manchester - introducing me to the new luxury K styling range designed by Kate Moss for Kérastase. In particular, this nifty little product for curly girls - Kérastase Boucles d'art.



I was skeptical at first - many mousses claim to leave you with beautiful bouncing curls and leave them crispy and looking like limp turkey twizzlers! I also have the Brazilian Blowdry applied to my hair every 6 months to make it easier to blow dry straight so was certainly not expecting any miracles - I thought it might give it a nice loose curl effect or something similar.

The prouct is a very lightweight foam the boffins at Kérastase like to call aqua mousse - the bottle transforms the water and product within it to foam with a single pump (whatever you do, don't shake the bottle - it makes it foam inside and then it won't come out of the pump! I learnt the hard way)



Simply run a wide-toothed comb through your hair when wet, then grab your mousse and go nuts. They recommend using it liberally and I certainly went to town - it doesn't give you any of the crunchiness you get from other mousses and whilst its slightly sticky when your hair is damp, it completely blends away when dry leaving them soft, shiny and bouncy.

If you've got naturally straight hair or even wavy hair, it's not going to do amazing things for you but if you've got naturally curly hair, it's bloody fantastic. I find it gives a slightly tighter curl with a diffuser than when air dried but this is purely down to personal preference.

With a diffuser

Air Dried

The Kérastase Couture styling range can only be purchased directly from salons in the UK at around £21 - you can find your nearest stockists using The Salon Locator (though online on the US Kérastase website).



No comments:

Post a Comment