Original Rogue: New York, New York! Part 1
A little bit of everything lifestyle blog with a dash of geekiness and a splash of Manchester love!

Saturday 25 May 2013

New York, New York! Part 1

Most of the time when I end up in a new city, it's because I'm there to do something. It's rare I get to be nothing but a tourist. It helped that LS had already drawn up an inventory of what we planned to do.

I was travelling with Virgin Atlantic via their Little Red Service from Manchester. I had a mini moment of excitement when I spotted Amir Khan and discovered he was also travelling not only on my connecting flight but also to Newark.



Impressive leather clean seats on the Little Red

Free Sweets and Tea - interesting choice though...

A mere hour later, we were touching down at Heathrow. However, I had a 4 hour wait until my connecting flight so I took myself off to my favourite food spot, Yo Sushi! 7 plates and a miso soup later (at an extremely leisurely place), I set off towards the gate - the shops were all a little out of my price range!


Onwards to the USA!

Rocking the pinned hair and specs to fly in!


7 hours later, an entire bar of Cadbury's Marvellous Creations, 2 glasses of wine and 4 films later (Pitch Perfect is a new favourite!), we touched down at Newark International and blitzed through customs and onto the monorail - destination Penn Station, New York!



Rocking my old school backpack!

I stepped out of Penn Station with LS and this was my view


It just takes your breath away. It even smells amazing - a combination of sweet and savoury like a fairground. I was utterly speechless and it was in that moment NYC stole my heart.

LS and I went straight to a bar in Grand Central for a drink and a catch up before jumping on a train to Mamaroneck to stay with her family.

I woke up early on Friday morning and headed straight to the station, eager to started exploring the Big Apple.


http://picasion.com/i/1TDV1/


It was a beautiful day so I busied myself heading all over town, visiting the New York office of my old employer McCann and the New York Public Library.



Inscriptions all the way up Library Walk


Watching the world go by on Avenida De Las Americas




Had to try and capture myself on the giant camera



Inside the Disney Store Times Square


I wouldn't be sci fi girl if I didn't!


I met with LS and together we headed to the Rockafeller Centre's observation platform, Top of the Rock to watch the sun set over Manhattan.

Amazing lift that shoots straight to the top



Fascinating artwork on one of the buildings




Sunset over the Hudson River

 After heading in to avoid the masses, we discovered an interactive light room under the observation decks and spent at least an hour, dancing and spinning to create colourful light clashes. It would be the perfect place for a birthday, wedding or any kind of celebration. I'm saving up for my birthday already!






http://picasion.com/i/1TDY4/

Still hyped up from our techno room dancing, we asked one of the staff where we could continue to party the night away and also grab a bite to eat and he recommended Johnny Utahs

Hidden away between two building and down an innocuous flight of stairs, this was my idea of an all American bar. 




Nachos with cheese, chilli, olives, sour cream & guacamole

Burger with portabello mushroom, spinach and cheese in a brioche bun


We bought many many shots from Anna, our lovely waitress.
After a few drinks, one of us decided to brave Johnny Utah's infamous mechanical bull.....

Eventually we headed back to Grand Central, exhausted, happy and ready for another fantastic day in  NYC. 






































No comments:

Post a Comment