Original Rogue: Time for a cuppa - FruitBroo Review!
A little bit of everything lifestyle blog with a dash of geekiness and a splash of Manchester love!

Sunday 26 January 2014

Time for a cuppa - FruitBroo Review!

Recently I came across an intriguing brand via one of my fellow Black Milk lovers (known as Sharkies), called FruitBroo. A brand new range of seriously tasty juicy fruit drinks specially blended to be served hot. 100% natural with no caffeine, gluten or dairy and only 15 calories a cup! It sounded WAY too good to be true.

I’m a huge fan of Twining’s herbal teas so was curious to see how these little fellas matched up! After nipping to a local Sainsburys to grab one, I gave it a go! The contents of this little bottles is a concentrated intensely fruity syrup that you simply add hot water to create a steamy hot mug of goodness! 

Yum!

Got to at least try giving the healthy thing a shot!

I took to Twitter to express my delight at this new discovery immediately and got chatting to the FruitBroo guys. They very kindly sent a box of the entire range winging its way up to Manchester the very same day! The day they arrived, it was chucking it down – the perfect situation to settle down with a hot beverage!






The packaging is brilliant – appealing, colourful and fun, which was no surprise when I later found out FruitBroo is the brainchild of Mike Brehme, the man behind Clipper teas! The FruitBroo guys claim you can get 15 cups out of their 100ml bottle and recommend using two teaspoons full. However after testing this method in the office at work, it didn’t go down too well – there was a resounding reaction of “too weak”.


So when I gave it a bash at home, I went a little wild and simply poured it from the bottle enough to cover the bottom of the mug! I tend to like things pretty strong! The first thing you notice upon opening each bottle is the fantastic smell that hits you. It literally makes your mouth water and I couldn’t wait to get stuck in. 


Apple and Ginger Spice

I’m a sucker for anything with ginger in but the ginger flavour isn’t particularly overwhelming with this mix. It’s got a very wintery scent to it but it actually tastes very sweet – the only way I can really think to describe it is Christmas in a mug!  Certainly a favourite for me and took me straight back to memories of the recent Christmas Markets in Manchester.



Elderflower and Lime

The delicateness of the elderflower gives this tea a very subtle taste and the tartness of the lime gives it a little kick to stop it from being completely bland. Personally not a fan as a hot brew but I do think, it would make an extremely pleasant cool drink in hot weather. I’ll definitely be giving it a go when if the weather perks up  - brewing it up, then leaving it to cool and adding ice and possibly a dash of sparkling water!



Honey and Lemon

This was my least favourite out of the range. Whilst you can smell the honey when opening the bottle, when transferred into tea form, it was completely overwhelmed by the lemon flavour. Unfortunately this one was definitely a thumbs down – I think I’d still prefer to make my own honey and lemon with actual ingredients instead.



Lemon and Ginger

Totally swinging the other way, this was another one of my favourites. The scent of gingerbread hit me the minute I took the lid off and I wasn't disappointed with the flavour. Warming, beautifully aromatic and tingling all my taste buds (and it seemed to help nip my cold in the bud), I've already polished off the whole bottle! Oops! (FYI, I only got 6 cups out of it but they are pretty big mugs!)


Peach, Pear and Honey

This is a really difficult one to put my finger on! The blend of flavours is very sweet, with pear probably being the most prominent but it’s quite hard to describe – a truly fruity blend! Emily, from my office, described it as 'Hubba Hubba after the flavour has gone!". Think the jury's still out on this one.....



Rhubarb, Apple and Cinnamon

I actually hate rhubarb. I don’t eat the stuff, I don’t like anything that has rhubarb flavouring and generally avoid it like the plague. So I was apprehensive of trying this particular flavour. Yet once again, I was pleasantly surprised. The apple and cinnamon flavour provides a perfect antidote and whilst it wouldn't be my first choice of flavour, I certainly didn't dislike it. It tastes a little bit like apple pie!


The Verdict

I’ve got to say my personal favourites were the Lemon and Ginger and Apple, Ginger and Spice (I clearly have some sort of ginger issues going on here!). I tend to find with fruit teas, I have to leave the tea bag in to get an intense enough flavour and it can often tip over into tasting TOO strong. Not so with these bad boys – you add as much or a little as you like and enjoy the perfect fruit brew!

The dinky little bottles mean these could make really cute little presents and they are currently retailing at £2.50 a bottle. What I’d really like to see from them in the future is a pack where you can get all the flavours together and perhaps a 250ml bottle for those of us who like them a bit stronger *wink wink*.

You can find FruitBroo in your local Sainsbury’s store in the speciality tea aisle or just order via the FruitBroo Website (free delivery if you order over 10). 


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment